This article will cover how to create a curriculum.
- Use a curriculum to organize courses/classes/documents into 1 learning activity.
- ALL EHS Skillsoft Compliance and United Educators content needs to be bundled in a curriculum if being assigned to users.
- ALL activities within a curriculum must have the “can be subscribed” check box selected.
- Curriculum properties are inherited by child activities.
- Curriculum structures should not exceed 25 child activities as not to slow down the system (not to mention reduce confusion for end users).
- By default, learners must take (or fulfill) all activities within a curriculum unless specified in the grading and completion section.
Step 1: Go to Administration > Quick Links > Learning Activities.
Step 2: Click on New Activity > Curriculum.
Step 3: Fill out the General Properties:
- Name: Name of the curriculum
- Primary Domain: Your Campus
- Code: Provide the code for this activity. It will be Campus DOMAINID-CURRIC-XXXX (e.g. CSU-CURRIC-DSP).
- Description: Add a description of what the curriculum is about and assignment details.
- Owner: The course owner's name.
- Keywords: Title and Course Code
For more information on learning activity code standards, refer to the Learning Activity and Domain ID Codes article.
Step 4: Click on the Save button before moving to the next step.
Step 1: Once you have completed the curriculum shell you need to choose which activities to include in the curriculum. To do that, select the Actions menu.
Step 2: Click on Subscribe.
Step 3: Search the course you are trying to subscribe (for example: Data Security and FERPA), and click on the checkbox next to the course name.
NOTE: This page only displays learning activities that already have the can be subscribed check box selected. If you don’t see the item you want, find the activity, go to Optional > Status and select the subscribe check box for that learning activity.
Step 4: Click on the Subscription Properties button at the bottom of the page.
Step 5: On the next screen, Subscription Properties, will appear. Click on the Add Subscription button.
BEST PRACTICE is to leave this area blank (do not check any of the options) and click the add subscription button at the bottom. DO NOT honor any previous completions for share courses (such as Skillsoft courses). If you have any questions about a specific use case to use the subscription properties, please contact CSU Learn Support for assistance.
*Repeat Steps 1-5 to add additional child activities to the curriculum*
Step 1: Click on the Optional button and continue filling out the remaining curriculum settings.
Step 2: Go to Certification, if required and it needs to recur on a schedule.
You can go to the Certifications article for more information on how to set-up a certification.
Step 3: Go to Registration > Availability, if all activities are required. You can check the Allow one click registration box, this will allow the user to register for all the activities at once when the Register button is clicked.
Step 4: Go to Registration > Audiences, to determine which audiences can view and register for this activity.
Step 5: Go to Notifications > System to activate and inactivate notifications. It is recommended to have the following notifications active.
- Certification Expiration Notification (if certification properties are enabled)
- Certification Expiration Reminder Notification (if certification properties are enabled)
- Learning Activity Assignment Notification
- Learning Activity Assignment Overdue Notification
- Learning Activity Assignment Reminder Notification
Step 6: Go to Management > Audiences to assign this activity to an audience that you have created.
Step 7: Once all settings are in place, click on the Validate for Production button.
Step 8: Click on the Move to Production button.
This concludes how to create a curriculum.